Saturday 7 March 2009

Passers by just walk on.....


AN EXPERIMENT to find out if shoppers are good samaritans has shown a shock result - but matches trends.
George Layne 18, and Rikki Turner 19, from the Poole & Bournemouth College decided to film two social psychology experiments. In one Rikki dropped paper in front of people to see if they’d help pick it up, and in the other, George posed unconscious and remained still until somebody offered him assistance. George said: “I got help after seven minutes. I thought I’d be there for quite a while but it went quite quickly although at one point I did fall asleep.
“For the first two minutes I was conscious of what I was doing and started laughing at the thought of all these people walking by looking at me wondering what I was doing.”
Before starting the experiments people were stopped and asked whether or not they would help if somebody dropped papers in front of them or if they saw somebody motionless in the street. Layne added: “We dropped the papers twenty times and only two people helped. It was interesting as we interviewed about 15 people and 12 said they’d help in those situations, but our investigation shows something completely different.
Experts call this de-individualisation. This means that in a crowded place you are less likely to get help from others.
“I wasn’t surprised by the results as I’d seen these type of experiments done before and I have noticed similarities here” George added.
After seven minutes of lying on the floor of Bournemouth Arcade, one man did poke Layne to see if he was OK. He said: “I was going to phone the police, but I checked to see if the shop he was outside knew about this. There was a couple of women looking, but they just looked and got on with their business.”

No comments: